+Annemarie Hyde asks on almost a daily basis "What is the learning?"
This is a simple question. As teachers when we teach something we always have a learning intention/objective in mind, that we want our students to achieve. When teaching in a digital classroom, this is no different. Yet it seems that as a digital teacher we are having to justify our tools and learning more often.
Ken Shelton in his Keynote at #Ulearn13 discussed the concept of 'Transformation'. He posed two questions:
- What does it mean to transform?
- What does it look like to transform?
The message that I took away from his talk was to embrace the opportunities that technology provides us, and the ways we can utilize these within our teaching practice and education. Transforming is about changing our practice and not about replicating things we already do by substituting our old ways.
I loved his video he used on the 'Fun Theory'. I am firm believer that student's are going to learn more and be more engaged if we can make the learning fun. This is evident in the two videos below.
In my current teaching practice I am trying to prepare students for future learning by teaching students think for themselves. This to me means, not standing at the front of the room and delivering the curriculum but having students take an inquiry approach and think for themselves. In doing this students would be selecting the appropriate tools to research, collaborate, communicate and present their learning. This is something that would need to be facilitated by the teacher and set up as a classroom culture for learning.
This leads me into Gamification. I am so passionate about this, that I get so frustrated with having to constantly justify its merits. I was very thankful and felt privileged to attend Stephen Knightly's talk on 'Game-Based Learning' and come back with concrete evidence of the relevance and learning that can be had through games within education.
Stephen's messages that resonated with me:
"If you are teaching students mathematics then teaching kids to code would validate that mathematics like you wouldn't believe"
"If you want higher order thinking - make a game! Have your students create the content instead of just consuming"
"Games we deem invaluable like GTAV still have their merits. Games like this teach economics - I wont buy this gun, I will save up for the better quality more expensive one - delayed gratification"
"GTAV is the most sophisticated city ever created in a game. It has more working parts than the space station. You could spend 200 hours exploring one small corner of the city before engaging in any illicit activities"
"The video game cycle is a recipe for self motivated learners - Clear Goals --> Right Tools --> Challenge --> Feedback"
"If students aren't engaged in a game, it isn't because its not sexy, it is because it is dull and boring"
_________________________________________________________________________________
Games are good at creating behavioral and attitude change. Ecological, educational, mental health, political messages and challenges have been addressed with games. There is a growing field of research into the psychological and social principles underpinning effective games.
Gaming in the classroom definitely has its merits. We can use Ken Shelton's idea of transformation to underpin our curriculum and values. I firmly believe in teaching the 'whole' learner and not just delivering a curriculum.
Below are some Ted talks that a pro gamification:


No comments:
Post a Comment