Thursday, April 10

P3 Book Club

P3 are avid readers!
They love to read and are always on the lookout for new and exciting books.
Children's literature is one of my biggest passions. I love getting my students excited about reading.
That is exactly what book club has done for my class. I carefully selected 5 books at varied levels and on varied topics to get their interest. I made sure to choose mostly books that are in a series to encourage student's to continue to read after book club is complete. The bonus was also that two of the books are going to be coming out at theatres this year!

We do book club twice a week. Our reading programme consists of  2 sessions of our novel study, 2 sessions of book club and 2 sessions of guided reading based on their ability (grouped). This way I am covering independent, guided and intensive comprehension in my reading programme.

The books I chose were:

- Divergent
- The Maze Runner
- The Recruit
- Holes
- Gone



I also had audio books for Divergent, Maze Runner, The Recruit and Holes. This was a huge hook in for most students, who were begging to listen to their books while they completed other work.
To counter this I made sure that students were also reading along to the books on their computer at the same time. We use an app called 'Readium', student's are able to load the books into their readium library and read at their own pace.

I created a clear sleeve for students with set tasks in each sleeve.
Students worked through these tasks in order:

1. Create a title page for your book
2. Answer the 'At Beginning' reading questions for your novel
3. Visualizing concept poster
4. Asking questions concept poster
5. Predicting concept poster
6. Main character poster - specific physical and personality traits
7. Tagxedo on their blogs about the books
8. Participate in a literacy circle with your book club peers

* Divergent book club - google maps activity to map out locations from the book.

These are the activities we have done so far, I am constantly trying to spice things up and adding new activities to their folders.











Students have already started recommending books for next term. I am so pleased with the results of our book club. Please recommend any other amazing books in the comments below!

Recommended book club books for term 2:

-      Harry Potter
-      Tomorrow When the War Began
-      The Seekers
-      The Hunger Games
-      The Host
-      The Rangers Apprentice
-      Enders Game
-      Inheritance Cycle (Eragon)
-      Roald Dahl Month (All Books)
-      The Book Thief
-      The absolutely true diary of a part time Indian
-      It’s kind of a funny story
-      I am number four

-      The city of ember

No comments:

Post a Comment