Teach Meet NZ for Connected Educators Month
I was asked by the lovely Sonya (@vanschaijik) to be a presenter for Teach Meet NZ in October because it is connected educators month.
I was a little apprehensive at first because I had never watched or been part of an online presentation and didn't know what to expect. I decided that I had to just jump in head first and give it a go.
What's the big deal about Minecraft?
Sonya was lovely and helpful during the practice sessions and she taught me a few tips and tricks with using Google Hangout. Such as using the toolbox to add your twitter feed, how to screenshare and how to use the Q & A.
In the practice sessions my presentation was timed at 6 minutes (double the allowed time). I had to spend some time rearranging my speech to still be able to say what I wanted to say in way less words. This was great for keeping my thinking succinct.
On the day I was ridiculously nervous. I practiced my presentation at least ten times to make sure my time wasn't over three minutes. I had managed to get it down to 2:58. That right there is success!
I loved being a part of #CENZ14 and the Teach Meet NZ crew. All the educators who presented were fantastic!
As I was listening to these great educators I was tweeting out all the great content that was being presented.
TeachMeetNZ was an awesome way to network with other educators. At Ulearn I was able to meet some of the other presenters and discuss our experiences.
Overall my experience was fantastic. I recommend it to everyone and anyone who gets the opportunity to participate in one of these, even if it is just watching the broadcast.
Transcript for my presentation:
What is the
big deal about Minecraft?
It is incredibly
simplistic
Appropriate
for all ages
There is no
goal or end, basically the game is a giant sandbox encouraging construction,
creativity, exploration and survival
Minecraft is
a basically an online version of Lego and it is a fantastic learning tool
So why do
kids love it?
And the
bigger question is why should teachers?
Minecraft covers the key competencies in the New
Zealand Curriculum
Thinking – Students have to think constantly about what
they are building and what their next steps are
Using Language, Symbols and Texts – Students are using
rich language to discuss their projects. They are using words like mods,
spawning, griefing and crafting to communicate with their peers
Managing self –
students set their own time frames alongside setting their own agenda and goals
and they manage themselves to ensure they meet them
Relating to others – Teamwork and collaboration happens
within the game and outside the game to support the learning
Participating and contributing – Students participate
and contribute to the Minecraft community when they build amazing creations and
share them with their peers
The
simplistic graphics allow anything to be possible. They can build on a small
scale such as building their dream classroom or on a large scale replicating an
Ancient Egyptian city.
They dream
it up and then they build it
Students
work together to create complex and elaborate structures. Often this will
involve a planning process where a committee of students get together to
develop a plan. While in the planning process students engage in rich
discussion to bring their vision to life.
Minecraft
experts step forward and become the leaders in the classroom
The game has
built in social structures with LAN worlds and a chat function.
Players have
access to Wikis, blogs, websites and message boards. They share
tips and upload elaborate videos detailing the amazing things they've learned
to build.
They are willing to take risks, make mistakes, fix them
and continue this forward thinking process.
It is important for students to be able to identify the
learning when using Minecraft
I encourage my students to use their blogs to reflect
on projects and share their designs
These are
just some of the values that Minecraft can teach students
Minecraft is fun – Students don’t even realize all the
values and skills they are learning. However they are engaged and contributing
positively to the learning and classroom environment.
The
following are all successful ways I have been able to use Minecraft in the
classroom.
My most
successful Minecraft project has been the recent fictional setting of Coconut
Cove from the Novel Hoot. Students created maps, models and worked in teams to
create a detailed replica of this city to scale using the setting description
from the text.
I encourage
you to allow your students to be the experts. Open the door and allow students
to co-construct the path alongside you.
Minecraft
and gaming is taking over the classroom. So come and join the movement!

Hey Kassey, I just picked up this post. What a fabulous reflection. I loved having you join our session and I know that your Ulearn presentation was 'sold' out. Congratulations on your blog achievement. I like the way you are tagging the RTC's. I will pop in and out when I can, and do tag me on twitter when you post.
ReplyDelete